Our History
Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum and Carriage House, a New York historic estate located in the Bronx
facebook
twitter
google+
flickr
foursquare
pinterest

Join our mailing list
for news & event info

The story of the Bartow-Pell estate begins in 1654 when Thomas Pell, an English doctor from Connecticut, bought the land from the Siwanoy Indians as part of a nearly 9,000-acre tract. The estate was reduced to 220 acres by the end of the Revolutionary War. It was bought in 1836 by Robert Bartow who built the present Grecian style stone mansion with Greek Revival interiors. He moved into the house with his wife and children in 1842. The Bartow-Pell Mansion opened as a museum in 1946.

Bartow-Pell Mansion Museum